- Open the Settings app (grey gear icon)
- Tap your Apple ID at the top of the screen
- Tap iCloud
- Tap “Manage Storage”
- Tap Backup
- In that list you should see both your old iPhone and new iPhone. Tap your old phone and look at the latest backup date. If it says “Incomplete,” then your old device didn’t have enough time on wifi to make a backup and you must start a backup on the old device before you setup the new device (see below). You can see a list of apps on this screen as well – all included apps will have a green toggle next to them.
What If My Backup Is Incomplete?
If you have an incomplete backup and still have your old device, please open the iCloud backup menu on your old device and activate a backup by following these instructions while your phone is connected to a power source:
- Tap your Apple ID in the Settings app
- Tap iCloud
- Scroll down and select “iCloud Backup”
- Tap Backup Now
- Turn on your iPhone for the first time (or after it’s been reset)
- Select a language
- Select a region
- Turn on your old phone
- Hold up your old phone so the blue circle lines up with the circle image on your new phone
- Enter your passcode
- Setup Face ID
- On the “Restore Apps and Data Screen” confirm that the default backup has a recent date and select the option to Restore from your old device’s iCloud backup (in the photo below, this is the middle option).
- Follow the rest of the setup, including terms and conditions, your wallet, Siri, etc.
- The “Restore from iCloud” bar will appear on screen. Remain on wifi while this takes place.
- All your app icons will say “Waiting…” – remain on wifi until they are all completely filled in.
- Tip: Apps are restored one at a time but you can tap apps that you want to restore first. Tap Stylebook if you want that backup to be restored right away.
How Do I Know It Worked?
Your phone will be setup exactly like the device your restored from on the date of the backup you selected. Your wallpaper will be exactly the same and your old apps will all be on the phone. If you restore properly, you won’t need to redownload any app you had on your old device.
What If The App Still Says “Waiting”?
If you leave wifi early you will interrupt the restore process. Once you reconnect to wifi, you can tap a waiting app icons to reinitiate the restore process.
- Before you try it again, make sure that your old phone actually backed up to iCloud (see above).
- Immediately redo your iCloud restore on your new device by following Apple’s iCloud instructions. If you restart the iCloud restore process, we recommend that you follow the instructions above.